The beauty industry is far from pretty regarding its impact on the environment.According to Zero Waste Week, the cosmetics industry produces more than 120 billion packaging units globally every year, contributing to the loss of 18 million acres of forest annually.
We have advocated for ethical and sustainable beauty for a few years now. Supporting cosmetic brands trying to do the right thing. However, it is a struggle to find such brands and products in the day and age of 'Greenwashing' and false marketing claims.
How do we determine a sustainable beauty product?
Sustainable and Ethical LabelsThere are some really well-known certifications and labeling that are considered ethical and sustainable. Cruelty-free, organic, and vegan are prominent examples.
Eco-friendly makeup is created by companies that keep the environment into consideration while making, packing, and selling their cosmetic products. Therefore, these products aim to reduce waste, increase sustainability, and ensure that the planet's well-being is considered when being sold to the world.CD Beauty NYC is:
Cruelty-free. Companies that don't do animal testing of their products are termed cruelty-free. Many companies identify cruelty-free, but their primary purpose is to identify companies that do not use animals to test their products.Organic. Organic makeup is made from natural, non-chemical components. It doesn't contain preservatives, parabens, or most chemicals. They usually avoid toxic ingredients altogether. The advantage of purchasing organic makeup is that you avoid putting any harmful components on your skin.
- Vegan. Vegan makeup does not contain any animal-derived ingredients. Most brands that are cruelty-free will also be vegan.
Sustainable and Ethical IngredientsEven some cosmetics that are considered healthy can actually hide harmful ingredients under other names. At CDBeauty NYC, we believe in being fully transparent about our products. We believe in educating our customers about what they are putting on their skin. We also encourage them to be proactive in analyzing their other makeup brands to know if other items contain animal ingredients.
Makeup - Cruelty-Free, Gluten-Free, and Vegan
In addition to creating high-quality makeup and skincare products that are vegan, we also emphasize products that are gluten- and cruelty-free. In addition to being cruelty-free, we believe in keeping our cosmetics as clean as possible without compromising performance. For that reason, we offer a wide variety of vegan products and are free of Gluten, Parabens, And Phthalates. At CDBeauty NYC, we make gluten-free makeup and beauty products. We use only the finest, most effective ingredients. In addition, we're constantly looking for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to infuse within our formulas.
Sustainable and Ethical Business PracticesThoughtful packaging is a crucial part of a company's sustainable & ethical business practices. With limited zero waste options, we expect at least recyclable packaging. Here are some characteristics of such sustainable business practices:
- Recyclable containers. Eco-friendly makeup brands will package their products in 100% recyclable containers. CDBeauty Cosmetics uses recyclable Containers, but we don't stop there. In fact, if you send us your used cosmetics containers (from any brand), we will recycle them and give you a 15% discount on your purchase.
- Refillable containers. Eco-friendly brands ensure that their makeup has refillable containers that you can reuse. For example, CDBeauty Cosmetics utilizes refillable containers for our shadow and brow powders. Our website even gives you a step-by-step process to refill the makeup you purchase.
- Sustainable packaging products. Eco-friendly makeup brands will usually avoid the plastic composition of their products and go a more natural route.
- Biodegradable formulas. Makeup made through these formulas ensures that it can decompose naturally. It does not contain plastic parts that can end up polluting the sea.
Final thoughtsAs consumers, we can make a conscious and positive effort to look out for eco-friendly ingredients and business practices when buying cosmetics.
CDBeauty Cosmetics is a vegan, sustainable, eco-friendly luxury line of eyebrow products and makeup.